Pages

June 2, 2011

Hello

Preparing for my exam takes a lot of my time these days, but now I deserve a little break, so here's a few reviews of the latest books I've read.



I think the easiest way to describe "Juliet" by Anne Fortier is by calling it "Dan Brown for girls". The differences are just that in Juliet the main character is a woman, plus there is more romance than in Dan Brown's novels about Robert Langdon (and of course there has to be some romance when it's about Romeo and Juliet). The ending was a wee bit too predictable, but on the other hand, it ended the way I wanted it to, so I guess I shouldn't complain.



Over the past few weeks I've also read a collection of short stories by Lydia Davis, "Break it down". I don't think I'll ever read anything by Lydia Davis again, I just don't get her style. A lot of Goodreads-users have written very positive reviews and I really don't get it. Some of the stories are very, very short and in most of the stories there's no action at all. It's kind of boring, I think. And I'm really glad that I don't have to analyse any of these stories - that would be terrible.
The only story I liked was "French Lesson 1", it was somehow innovative and fun actually. In short: if you ever get this book in your hand, read French Lesson 1 and forget about the rest of the stories.

2 comments:

  1. Wasting time on a bad book ("Break It Down") can be the worst! Have you read anything by David Foster Wallace? Such an awesome writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it really can! Sometimes I wonder, why I keep reading, when I don't enjoy the book. It's kind of stupid actually.

    No, I haven't read anything by him. Is there one of his books you would recommend in particular?

    ReplyDelete